Human Settlements MEC Siboniso Duma
Image: Supplied
The KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) government has secured land to build permanent homes for flood victims who have been living in temporary structures since the devastating 2022 floods.
This after the provincial Human Settlements Department has struggled for two years to secure suitable land for housing projects.
Human Settlements MEC Siboniso Duma announced on Monday that the department had received land allocations from the Ingonyama Trust, allowing for the construction of permanent homes. Seven parcels of land have been rezoned for this purpose, paving the way for much-needed housing developments.
“We are speeding up the provision of bulk infrastructure, including water and electricity, to ensure that we build decent houses,” Mr Duma said. “Through the guidance of Isilo Misuzulu KaZwelithini, we are working with Amakhosi to utilise the land under the Ingonyama Trust for the benefit of His Majesty’s people.”
While the department has made strides in constructing homes in Shallcross, the project encountered resistance from the Shallcross Ratepayers' Association. The association raised concerns that the land designated for housing was originally a community park used for recreation. However, Mr Duma said that discussions with the association had been productive.
“We are engaging with the Shallcross Ratepayers' Association to address concerns and find solutions that benefit both flood victims and local residents,” he said.
A recent meeting between the department and the Shallcross community resulted in an agreement to develop an alternative recreational facility for residents. Additionally, a portion of the new houses will be allocated to Shallcross residents, ensuring community participation in the development process.
“People of Shallcross will also benefit from the project through sub-contracting opportunities and employment in general labor during the construction phase,” Mr Duma added.
The 2022 floods displaced approximately 40 000 people and caused destruction estimated at R17 billion. More recently, floods in 2024 have displaced 41 families in eThekwini and resulted in an estimated R1 billion in damages.